Momma's

What is a mom?
If you Google that question, the result states that a mom (mother) is a women who inhabit or perform the role of bearing some relation to their children, who may or may not be their biological offspring.

To me when I think of that question.  The answer is a woman who cares for their child or children.  A woman who schedules all the medical appointments.  A woman who when the child is a new born, does not a consistent schedule.  She is the one who is up with the baby at any and all hours of the night.  She is the one who has the never ending job.  If she has a career outside of the home, she has to balance that schedule with the home/baby schedule.  A mom is a woman who has so much love, to give to her child. 

When I was pregnant, I was preparing to become a mom.  I was so scared that I would not do things the right way.  I would not be able to maintain the house, my job, finish college, be a wife and be a new momma.  Once we came home everything came natural to me. 

Being a Eye Momma is just a tad different. 
We have to make sure our children's vision needs are being met by the appropriate doctor.  We have to make sure that we are patching our child, if needed.  We have to make sure that we change the contact lense case every three months to try to avoid infections.  We have to always keep glasses cleaner and contact solution on hand.  If everyone's eye babies are like mine, we have to take his contact out if he is sick to avoid infection.  We have to get glaucoma checks every 3 months.  We have to advocate for our children. 

Being an Eye Momma has taught me so much.  Before I gave birth, I was passionate about some things in my life and in society.  When Jaxen was just two days old we got the news that he has what is called PFVS, which stands for Persistent Fetal vasculatures Syndrome.  This was previously known as PHPV.  From that day we began our journey.  I have encountered several rude comments.  The very first one came from inside a hospital.  The first few are very memorable.  For the first few months, I just took the rude comments.  I would not say anything.  Sometimes I would cry.  Sometimes I would just walk away.  Sometimes I would just act like I did not hear them.  Finally one day while I was browsing the internet, I found a support group, Little Four Eyes.  From that day I read other mom's just like me going through the same struggles.  I did some researching on PFVS and patching and kids in glasses.  The next time I was out in public with my little baby while patching, because we patch 6 hours of baby awake time.  Which if you know what that is like, patching was a job in itself, just to keep baby Jax awake.  A mother in the grocery store asked me, why I was torturing my baby with that "thing" on his face.  I looked at her, and I think my facial expression answered her question.  I went ahead and nicely informed her that I nor would any other mom who child is patching would appreciate calling it torture.  I told her that my son was born with an eye condition that required patching.  While she was walking away she muttered under her breath, young mothers.  It took all I had not to yell at her. 

Being an Eye momma is challenging and difficult at times in this society.  I just want to encourage all you new eye momma's and the eye momma's that have not been the voice for your child.  Be that voice.  Educate others!! Raise Awareness!! Don't be afraid to seek a second opinion.  Don't be afraid to make a friend with another eye mom in your area, or at the eye clinic. 

Comments

Popular Posts